Air Canada + Aeroplan
Engaging members with the Aeroplan mobile app every day.
As part of the Air Canada + Aeroplan Sprint, we were placed into teams to tackle this design challenge:
Using existing program perks, benefits, and products, how might we get more members engaging with the Aeroplan website and mobile app every day?
To constrain the scope, our team decided to focus on the 80% of Aeroplan members who were not frequent flyers.
Our team of five focused on increasing discoverability to optimize user access and engagement. We narrowed down on the 80% of Aeroplan members who were not frequent flyers but were Canadian residents, everyday earners, and gift-card warriors as our target audience.
Initial research indicated that users were confused about how to navigate the app.
The research also showed that some Aeroplan users were not aware of their options to use their points. In contrast, some users made careful plans on how to spend their points.
The main insight we gathered was that current Aeroplan users were confused about navigating the Aeroplan homepage to look for how to earn and spend their points.
From our findings, we came up with four major assumptions about Aeroplan users:
Users did not know where to spend their points
Users did not know how to access program features within the application
Users would redeem points if they could
Users were unaware of the number of partners within the program
How might we ease access to Aeroplan features in order to increase user engagement?
Our team decided to explore new layout options for the Aeroplan app as navigating through the app caused the most confusion for users.
We each came up with a few ideas by sketching them out before voting on the concept that best incorporated the features that simplified the process for users.
To better understand the user's experience, we created a storyboard to visualize the process.
The storyboard allowed us to visualize the user's experience and feelings while going through the app. It also helped identify the user's motivation to engage with the app.
We also learned what would help ease the user's access to earning and redeeming options quicker and raise brand affiliations awareness.
With the storyboard in mind, we developed the persona, Jane, to best capture the pain points of a typical user who liked to redeem points but often felt that the steps to do so were too complicated.
From the data gathered, Phil and I devised low-fidelity wireframes.
While Phil focused on the Landing Page and Redeem Page, I designed the wireframes for the Product Page, Confirm Order, Reviewing Order, and Order Confirmation pages.
While creating the low-fidelity wireframes, we referred back to the persona, Jane, to ensure that the wireframes aligned with her goal of quickly locating where to redeem her points and reducing the steps to do so.
After discussing with the team to see if the wireframe matched the intention of our persona, Phil and I created the high-fidelity wireframes with assets collected from Luay to develop into the prototype.
During this process, I was in charge of producing the navigation bars, modals, banners, and drop-down menus. These features encouraged users to navigate through the app and explore more options to spend their points through affiliated products and brands.
After reviewing the prototype with the team again, Phil and I made corrections to some labels and navigation features that were not immediately recognizable during the trial test.
After making the corrections, Luay stitched the wireframes together to complete the final prototype.
After the sprint, I decided to redesign the prototype on my own time.
I gathered the insights pinpointed from the user testings during the sprint and refined another iteration of the prototype.
After completing the prototype, we asked five users to test the design to see how we could improve it.
Some issues that test users identified were navigability issues because of the UI layout and a complicated user flow.
If given the chance to continue with the project, we would like to reconfigure our layout to improve the discoverability of key information and portals. We would also reconsider our use and non-use of relevant signifiers.
More importantly, we want to restructure our information architecture to improve user flow.
For our next steps, we would reconsider some UI elements and restructure the information architecture.
Given more time, we would also explore other layout options and add appropriate signifiers for object affordances.
With the short timeline provided, the team and I were able to focus more on the tasks and complete our final deliverable.
As a team, we learned that short breaks were important to the productivity of the team and helped provide new perspectives on our work. We also realized the importance of trusting in our teammate’s work which allowed us to work more efficiently as a team.